Friday, November 18, 2011

All Because I Thought I Could Handle it.

Lesson learned tonight...

"I think when Eve began her dialogue with the serpent, she probably thought, This is no big deal. I can handle this little snake. He's hanging from a tree--what can he possibly do? I can just imagine the scene. Do you do the same? Do you think, A little conversation with the world won't hurt?  And just like that, you 've been deceived into having a dangerous dialogue with this present evil world. You watch the movie, or you go into that bar. You enter into that relationship that grieves the heart of God. All because you thought you could handle it. That's where an unregenerate mind leads you."
-Pleasing God: Chapter 8 Renew Your Mind


Today, I engaged in conversation with the serpent hanging from the tree. I thought it was seemingly harmless. I thought, "This TV show won't hurt. I can handle it. What is it going to do to me?"
The Vampire Diaries. This was the hanging serpent. I was extremely bored and I grabbed the apple and took a bit. I thought that this TV show was going to be the best pass time. Some people around me were talking about and tumblr always seemed to feature the couples on the show. Not to my surprise, I liked this show and soon became a little addicted. (By soon, I mean in the timespan of a day)


"It doesn't take hours to conform to the world's system. It only take a moment. In just that time--an unguarded moment when you've allowed yourself to watch or partake of something you shouldn't--seeds can be planted. And those seeds, if left to take root and grow, can bear fruit that will destroy your life."

I knew I should have stopped my marathon, but the suspense kept leading me to watch episode after episode. The things in the show started getting scarier. So long story short, I probably watched like maybe seven or so episodes until I just got creeped out. I know that by watching that show, it gave the devil a foothold and he was able to use the 'evil spirits' in the show to scare me.
I definitely had to pray and ask the Lord to protect me and to not let me be scared because I have no need for fear. My Lord has already conquered death so what more are we to be afraid of? 1 John 4:17-19 helped me.   17 In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
 19 We love because he first loved us.

But then again, I should always be on guard with me heart and not give Satan any opportunities to plant seeds of doubt in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment